Wednesday, October 19, 2011

10.18.2011 workout

My heart rate monitor finally arrived yesterday! AND the weather was absolutely beautiful, so I immediately donned my running clothes when I got home from work and put the new device to the test. I did 2.19 miles in 24:40. BOOOOO. That put my pace at over 11:00min/mile. I think part of the slow-down was because of the damn HRM.

I plugged in all my stats and it gave me a range of 128-167 bpm. Well, once I started running and got halfway through, my heart rate was around 175 and the stupid thing kept yelling at me that I was out of my range. So I decided to listen to it and slowed it down so my heart rate would slow. Well, let me tell you, being in the range did NOT feel difficult enough for me. When I'm working out, I like to FEEL it. So at some point during my run, I just said 'fuck it' and kept my own pace, ignoring the 'out of range' beeping coming from the watch.

Another gripe I have about the monitor is that I feel like it overestimated the amount of calories that I burned. A 25 minute run at an 11:00min/mile pace + a five minute cool down walk couldn't have possibly made me burn 343 calories, right?

I am undecided on my feelings on it right now. I'll try it again this evening. I think I will do intervals on the treadmill instead of a neighborhood jog.

No comments:

Post a Comment